hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From "Asokan, M" <maso...@syncsort.com>
Subject RE: Solaris Port
Date Thu, 11 Dec 2014 21:25:03 GMT
Hi Malcom,
  The Windows versions of strerror() and strerror_s() functions are probably meant for ANSI
C library functions that set errno.  For core Windows API calls (like UNIX system calls),
one gets the error number by calling GetLastError() function.  In the code snippet I sent
earlier, the "code" argument is the value returned by GetLastError().  Neither strerror()
nor strerror_s() will give the correct error message for this error code.

You could probably look at libwinutils.c in Hadoop source.  It uses FormatMessageW (which
returns messages in Unicode.)  My requirement was to return messages in current system locale.

-- Asokan
From: malcolm [malcolm.kavalsky@oracle.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2014 4:04 PM
To: common-dev@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: Solaris Port

Hi Asok,

I googled and found that windows has strerror, and strerror_s (which is
the strerror_r equivalent).
Is there a reason why you didn't use this call ?

On 12/11/2014 06:27 PM, Asokan, M wrote:
> Hi Malcom,
>     Recently, I had to work on a function to get system error message on various systems.
 Here is the piece of code I came up with.  Hope it helps.

> static void get_system_error_message(char * buf, int buf_len, int code)
> {
> #if defined(_WIN32)
>      LPVOID lpMsgBuf;
>      DWORD status = FormatMessage(FORMAT_MESSAGE_ALLOCATE_BUFFER |
>                                   FORMAT_MESSAGE_FROM_SYSTEM |
>                                   FORMAT_MESSAGE_IGNORE_INSERTS,
>                                   NULL, code,
>                                   MAKELANGID(LANG_NEUTRAL, SUBLANG_DEFAULT),
>                                                           /* Default language */
>                                   (LPTSTR) &lpMsgBuf, 0, NULL);
>      if (status > 0)
>      {
>          strncpy(buf, (char *)lpMsgBuf, buf_len-1);
>          buf[buf_len-1] = '\0';
>          /* Free the buffer returned by system */
>          LocalFree(lpMsgBuf);
>      }
>      else
>      {
>          _snprintf(buf, buf_len-1 , "%s %d",
>              "Can't get system error message for code", code);
>          buf[buf_len-1] = '\0';
>      }
> #else
> #if defined(_HPUX_SOURCE)
>      {
>          char * msg;
>          errno = 0;
>          msg = strerror(code);
>          if (errno == 0)
>          {
>              strncpy(buf, msg, buf_len-1);
>              buf[buf_len-1] = '\0';
>          }
>          else
>          {
>              snprintf(buf, buf_len, "%s %d",
>                  "Can't get system error message for code", code);
>          }
>      }
> #else
>      if (strerror_r(code, buf, buf_len) != 0)
>      {
>          snprintf(buf, buf_len, "%s %d",
>              "Can't get system error message for code", code);
>      }
> #endif
> #endif
> }
>
> Note that HPUX does not have strerror_r() since strerror() itself is thread-safe.  Also
Windows does not have snprintf().  The equivalent function _snprintf() has a subtle difference
in its interface.

> -- Asokan

mean the libhadoop.so will need to be tied a specific build (kernel/include pairing) and therefore
limits upward mobility/compatibility.  That doesn’t seem like a very good idea.

>> IMO, switching to strerror_r is much preferred, since other than the brain-dead GNU
libc version, is highly portable and should work regardless of the kernel or OS in place.

>> On Dec 11, 2014, at 5:20 AM, malcolm <malcolm.kavalsky@oracle.com> wrote:
>>
>>> FYI, there are a couple more files that reference sys_errlist directly (not just
terror within exception.c) , but also hdfs_http_client.c and NativeiO.c

inside terror  and depend on the caller to free the buffer after using it, or to pass a buffer
to terrror (which is basically the same as strerror_r, rendering terror redundant).
no simple fix. Unless you have an alternative which I haven't thought of ?

to be in a few files as far as I can tell.

some minor ifdefs only used for Solaris.

This

> ________________________________
>

> ATTENTION: -----
>
> The information contained in this message (including any files transmitted with this
message) may contain proprietary, trade secret or other confidential and/or legally privileged
information. Any pricing information contained in this message or in any files transmitted
with this message is always confidential and cannot be shared with any third parties without
prior written approval from Syncsort. This message is intended to be read only by the individual
or entity to whom it is addressed or by their designee. If the reader of this message is not
the intended recipient, you are on notice that any use, disclosure, copying or distribution
of this message, in any form, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in
error, please immediately notify the sender and/or Syncsort and destroy all copies of this
message in your possession, custody or control.