hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Rati <rr...@redhat.com>
Subject HADOOP_ROOT_LOGGER
Date Wed, 21 May 2014 13:12:52 GMT
I noticed in hadoop-config.sh there is this line:

HADOOP_OPTS="$HADOOP_OPTS
-Dhadoop.root.logger=${HADOOP_ROOT_LOGGER:-INFO,console}"

which is setting a root logger if HADOOP_ROOT_LOGGER isn't set.  Why is
this here.needed?  There is a log4j.properties file provided that
defines a default logger.  I believe the line above will result in
overriding whatever is set for the root logger in the log4j.properties
file.  This has caused some confusion and hacks to work around this.

Is there a reason not to remove the above code and just have all the
logger definitions in the log4j.properties file?  Is there maybe a
compatibility concern?

Rob