hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Arun C Murthy <...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Thinking ahead to 2.4
Date Tue, 18 Feb 2014 05:44:00 GMT
Other than Azuryy I haven't heard from HDFS folks. To help move this discussion along, I've
created branch-2.4. Let's continue discussions here.

Committers, please exercise caution to ensure we only commit necessary bug-fixes henceforth.

thanks,
Arun

On Feb 15, 2014, at 2:59 PM, Arun C Murthy <acm@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> Folks,
>
>  With hadoop-2.3 nearly done, I think it's time to think ahead to hadoop-2.4. I think
it was a good idea to expedite release of 2.3 while we finished up pieces that didn't make
it in such as HDFS Caching & Support for Heterogenous Storage.

>  Now, most of the key pieces incl. Resource Manager Automatic Failover (YARN-149), Application
History Server (YARN-321) & Application Timeline Server (YARN-1530) are either complete
or very close to done, and I think we will benefit with an extended test-cycle for 2.4 - similar
to what happened with 2.2. To provide some context: 2.2 went through nearly 6 weeks of extended
testing and it really helped us push out a very stable release.

>  I think it will be good to create a 2.4 branch ASAP and start testing. As such, I plan
to cut the branch early next week. With this, we should be good shape sometime to release
2.4 in mid-March.

>  I've updated https://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Roadmap to reflect this.
>
>  Also, we should start thinking ahead to 2.5 and what folks would like to see in it.
If we continue our 6-week cycles, we could shoot to get that out in April.

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.

--