hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Arun C Murthy <...@hortonworks.com>
Date Fri, 08 Nov 2013 02:42:36 GMT
Gang,

 Thinking through the next couple of releases here, appreciate f/b.

 # hadoop-2.2.1

 I was looking through commit logs and there is a *lot* of content here (81 commits as on
11/7). Some are features/improvements and some are fixes - it's really hard to distinguish
what is important and what isn't.

 I propose we start with a blank slate (i.e. blow away branch-2.2 and start fresh from a copy
of branch-2.2.0)  and then be very careful and meticulous about including only *blocker* fixes
in branch-2.2. So, most of the content here comes via the next minor release (i.e. hadoop-2.3)

 In future, we continue to be *very* parsimonious about what gets into a patch release (major.minor.patch)
- in general, these should be only *blocker* fixes or key operational issues.

 # hadoop-2.3

 I'd like to propose the following features for YARN/MR to make it into hadoop-2.3 and punt
the rest to hadoop-2.4 and beyond:
 * Application History Server - This is happening in  a branch and is close; with it we can
provide a reasonable experience for new frameworks being built on top of YARN.
 * Bug-fixes in RM Restart
 * Minimal support for long-running applications (e.g. security) via YARN-896
 * RM Fail-over via ZKFC
 * Anything else?

 HDFS???

 Overall, I feel like we have a decent chance of rolling hadoop-2.3 by the end of the year.

 Thoughts?

thanks,
Arun

--