hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Andre Kelpe <ake...@concurrentinc.com>
Subject Re: Hadoop in Fedora updated to 2.2.0
Date Thu, 31 Oct 2013 11:27:58 GMT
On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 9:44 AM, Steve Loughran <stevel@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> that's not going to go in the 2.x branch. Java 6 is still a common platform
> that people are using, because historically java7 (or any leading edge java
> version) is buggy.

Given the fact that Java 6 is end of life, this is becoming more and
more of a problem. Are there any plans to retire java 6 in hadoop?

> that said, our QA team did test hadoop 2 & HDP-2 at scale on java7 and
> openjdk 7, so it all works -it's just the commit "java7 only" is a big
> decision that

If openjdk 7 would work w/o hiccups, deployment would become so much
easier, since that is already in all the linux distributions and you
can avoid doing the oracle license dance during deployment.

-- André