hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Hitesh Shah <hit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Hadoop 2.1.0-beta
Date Fri, 28 Jun 2013 19:03:19 GMT
Hi Arun,

From a YARN perspective, YARN-791 and YARN-727 are 2 jiras that may potentially change the
apis. They can implemented in a backward compat fashion if committed after 2.1.0. However,
this will require adding of differently-named apis ( different urls in case of the webservices
) and make the current version of the api deprecated and/or obsolete. YARN-818 which is currently
patch available also changes behavior.

Assuming that as soon as 2.1.0 is released, we are to follow a very strict backward-compat
retaining approach to all user-facing layers  ( api/webservices/rpc/... ) in common/hdfs/yarn/mapreduce,
does it make sense to try and pull them in and roll out a new RC after they are ready? Perhaps
Vinod can chime in if he is aware of any other such jiras under YARN-386 which should be considered
compat-related blockers for a 2.1.0 RC.

thanks
-- Hitesh

On Jun 26, 2013, at 1:17 AM, Arun C Murthy wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I've created a release candidate (rc0) for hadoop-2.1.0-beta that I would like to get
released.

> This release represents a *huge* amount of work done by the community (639 fixes) which
includes several major advances including: