hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vino...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] - Release 2.0.5-beta
Date Fri, 17 May 2013 07:06:09 GMT

Thanks a bunch Nathan, for clearly letting us know the Yahoo! team's perspective.

We are getting started on rolling upgrades from YARN side (Sid opened YARN-666) and I hear
HDFS side is too.

We definitely need compatibility and testing kits. Have to get started on this.

Work-preserving restart on YARN side - we plan to scope down next.

Thanks,
+Vinod

On May 16, 2013, at 11:28 AM, Nathan Roberts wrote:

> (initially respond on general@, sorry about that. copied here)
> 
> +1 (non-binding)
> 
> From my perspective:
> 
> * The key feature that will drive me to adopt 2.x is Rolling Upgrades
> * In order to get to rolling upgrades, we need a compatibility story that
> is significantly better than we have today
> ** We need a comprehensive definition of what compatibility really means
>  ** We need better testing in place to verify we're not breaking
> compatibility
> ** We need better definition and testing of what rolling upgrades really
> means. Rolling between bug-fix releases ­ Required, Rolling between minor
> releases ­ Required, Rolling between major releases ­ Desired.
>  ** We need work-preserving restart on the YARN side. Restarting jobs
> isn't sufficient.
> ** ...
> * Given that Rolling upgrades aren't there yet, and there is still work to
> be done to solidify the compatibility story, I'm ok with the feature
> window remaining open until these are in place, especially given the fact
> that the proposed features are likely to have non-zero impact on
> compatibility/rolling_upgrades.
> * I'd certainly like a release with rolling upgrades as soon as possible,
> so I feel like the feature window needs to ramp down very quickly.
> Something like 2.0.5-beta in May with the current list of proposed
> features, then 2.0.6-beta in late summer with full rolling upgrade support
> and a solid compatibility story, would seem like a reasonable timeline.
> Once we have a beta release with rolling upgrades, I can look at pushing
> 2.x to some of our larger clusters.
> 
> Nathan Roberts
> nroberts@yahoo-inc.com
> 
> 
> 
> On 5/15/13 1:06 PM, "Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli" <vinodkv@hortonworks.com>
> wrote:
> 
>> 
>> Seems like you forgot to bcc. Forwarding this to general.
>> 
>> Thanks,
>> +Vinod
>> On May 15, 2013, at 10:57 AM, Arun C Murthy wrote:
>> 
>>> Folks,
>>> 
>>> A considerable number of people have expressed confusion regarding the
>>> recent vote on 2.0.5, beta status etc. given lack of specifics, the
>>> voting itself (validity of the vote itself, whose votes are binding) etc.
>>> 
>>> IMHO technical arguments (incompatibility b/w 2.0 & 2.1, current
>>> stability of 3 features under debate etc.) have been lost in the
>>> discussion in favor of non-technical (almost dramatic) nuances such as
>>> "seizing the moment". There is now dangerous talk of tolerating
>>> incompatibility b/w 2.0 and 2.1) - this is a red flag for me;
>>> particularly when there are just 3 features being debated and active
>>> committers and contributors are confident of and ready to stand by their
>>> work. All patches, I believe, are ready to be merged in the the next few
>>> days per discussions on jira. This will, clearly, not delay the other
>>> API work which everyone agrees is crucial. As a result, I feel no
>>> recourse but to restart a new vote - all attempts at calm, reasoned,
>>> civil discussion based on technical arguments have come to naught - I
>>> apologize for the thrash caused to everyone's attention.
>>> 
>>> To get past all of this confusion, I'd like to present an alternate,
>>> specific proposal for consideration.
>>> 
>>> I propose we continue the original plan and make a 2.0.5-beta release
>>> by May end with the following content:
>>> # HDFS-347
>>> # HDFS Snapshots
>>> # Windows support
>>> # Necessary & final API/protocol changes such as:
>>> * Final YARN API changes: YARN-386
>>> * MR Binary Compatibility: MAPREDUCE-5108
>>> * Final RPC cleanup: HADOOP-8990
>>> 
>>> People working on the above features have all expressed considerable
>>> comfort with them and are ready to stand-by to help expedite any
>>> necessary bug-fixes etc. to get to stabilization quickly. I'm confident
>>> we can get this release out by end of May. This sets stage for a
>>> hadoop-2.x GA release right after with some more testing - this means I
>>> think I can quickly turn around and make bug-fix releases as necessary
>>> right after 2.0.5-beta.
>>> 
>>> I request that people consider helping out with this plan and sign up
>>> to help push hadoop-2.x to stability as outlined above. I believe this
>>> will help achieve our shared goals of quickly stabilizing hadoop-2 and
>>> help ensure we can support it for forseeable future in a compatible
>>> manner for the benefit of our users and downstream projects.
>>> 
>>> Please vote, the vote will run the normal 7 days. Obviously, I'm +1.
>>> 
>>> thanks,
>>> Arun
>>> 
>>> PS: To keep this discussion grounded in technical details I've moved
>>> this to dev@ (bcc general@).
>>> 
>> 
> 


Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message