hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Non existent config file to 'fs -conf'
Date Fri, 24 May 2013 04:28:35 GMT
The "quiet" behavior sorta goes all the way back to the very first
import of Nutch into Apache Incubator:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=155829 and seems
to deal with being relaxed about not finding added resources other
than required defaults. The behavior has almost been the same for over
8 years now :-)

The quiet flag is code-settable, but the output it would produce is
pretty verbose. I suppose we can turn it on at the FsShell level,
while also making those "parsing…", etc. INFO level logs into
checked-for DEBUG level logs. Would that suffice?

On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 12:52 AM, Ashwin Shankar <ashanka@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm working on  HADOOP-9582<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-9582>
 and I have a question about the current implementation in hadoop-common.
> Here is a brief background about the bug : Basically if I give a non-exitent file to
"hadoop fs  –conf NONEXISTENT_FILE",
> the current implementation never complains.
> But looking at the code(Configuration.loadResources()) it seems that in-fact we check
if input file exists and we throw an exception if the 'quiet' flag is false.
> Problem is the 'quiet' flag is always true.
> Can somebody explain the rationale behind this behavior ? Would we break any use-case
if we complain when non-exitent file is given as input?

> Why we want this fixed :  say the user makes a typo and gives the wrong path ,the code
is just going to ignore this,not complain
> and use the default conf files(if the env variables are set). This would confuse the
user when he finds that the configs are different from what he gave as input(typo) .

--
Harsh J