hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Mahadevan Venkatraman <mah...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: Heads up - merge branch-trunk-win to trunk
Date Fri, 08 Feb 2013 02:41:47 GMT
It is super exciting to look at the prospect of these changes being merged to trunk. Having
Windows as one of the supported Hadoop platforms is a fantastic opportunity both for the Hadoop
project and Microsoft customers.

This work began around a year back when a few of us started with a basic port of Hadoop on
Windows. Ever since, the Hadoop team in Microsoft have made significant progress in the following
areas:
(PS: Some of these items are already included in Suresh's email, but including again for completeness)

- Command-line scripts for the Hadoop surface area
- Mapping the HDFS permissions model to Windows
- Abstracted and reconciled mismatches around differences in Path semantics in Java and Windows
- Native Task Controller for Windows
- Implementation of a Block Placement Policy to support cloud environments, more specifically
Azure.
- Implementation of Hadoop native libraries for Windows (compression codecs, native I/O) -
Several reliability issues, including race-conditions, intermittent test failures, resource
leaks.
- Several new unit test cases written for the above changes

In the process, we have closely engaged with the Apache open source community and have got
great support and assistance from the community in terms of contributing fixes, code review
comments and commits.

In addition, the Hadoop team at Microsoft has also made good progress in other projects including
Hive, Pig, Sqoop, Oozie, HCat and HBase. Many of these changes have already been committed
to the respective trunks with help from various committers and contributors. It is great to
see the commitment of the community to support multiple platforms, and we look forward to
the day when a developer/customer is able to successfully deploy a complete solution stack
based on Apache Hadoop releases.

Next Steps:

All of the above changes are part of the Windows Azure HDInsight and HDInsight Server products
from Microsoft. We have successfully on-boarded several internal customers and have been running
production workloads on Windows Azure HDInsight. Our vision is to create a big data platform
based on Hadoop, and we are committed to helping make Hadoop a world-class solution that anyone
can use to solve their biggest data challenges.

As an immediate next step, we would like to have a discussion around how we can ensure that
the quality of the mainline Hadoop branches on Windows is maintained. To this end, we would
like to get to the state where we have pre-checkin validation gates and nightly test runs
enabled on Windows. If you have any suggestions around this, please do send an email.  We
are committed to helping sustain the long-term quality of Hadoop on both Linux and Windows.

We sincerely thank the community for their contribution and support so far. And hope to continue
having a close engagement in the future.

-Microsoft HDInsight Team