hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] create a hadoop-build subproject (a follow up on the thread 'introduce Python as build-time...')
Date Sat, 08 Dec 2012 00:20:23 GMT
On Wed, Dec 5, 2012 at 9:24 AM, Alejandro Abdelnur <tucu@cloudera.com> wrote:
> Current tasks of the build for being 'pluginized' are:
>
> 1* cmake (HADOOP-8887)
> 2* protoc(HADOOP-9117)
> 3* saveVersion (HADOOP-8924) (but this one has been -1)
> [ ... ]
> While we could argue this plugins are general purpose and they should be
> developed in a different standalone project, doing this would definitely
> slow down when we can use them in Hadoop.

Yes, these examples do seem general-purpose and not Hadoop-specific.
Unless we have Hadoop-specific plugins that Codehaus won't accept then
this seems like it might just end up as a staging area where we put
plugins until they get released somewhere else.  So it might be
interesting to start exploring just how hard it is to get a new plugin
added at Codehaus.  They make it sound pretty easy.

http://mojo.codehaus.org/contribution/submitting-a-plugin.html

In the meantime or if that gets stalled then publishing them ourselves
seems reasonable.  +1

Doug