hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Luke Lu <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] introduce Python as build-time and run-time dependency for Hadoop and throughout Hadoop stack
Date Fri, 30 Nov 2012 12:57:43 GMT
I'd like to change my binding vote to -1, -0, -1.

Considering the hadoop stack/ecosystem as a whole, I think the best cross
platform scripting language to adopt is jruby for following reasons:

1. HBase already adopted jruby for HBase shell, which all current platform
vendors support.
2. We can control the version of language implementation at a per release
basis.
3. We don't have to introduce new dependencies in the de facto hadoop
stack. (see 1).

I'm all for improving multi-platform support. I think the best way to do
this is to have a thin native script wrappers (using env vars) to call the
cross-platform jruby scripts.

__Luke