hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From "Aaron T. Myers" <...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: trailing whitespace
Date Mon, 26 Nov 2012 17:44:57 GMT
On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 11:14 AM, Radim Kolar <hsn@filez.com> wrote:

> I propose addition to QA bot - check for trailing whitespace in patches.
> Probably checking for tabs in Java files would be also good idea.

Checking for tabs I could get behind; checking for trailing whitespace not
so much.

I've never understood why folks get worked up over a little trailing
whitespace here and there, since you can't see it and it doesn't affect
correctness. Spurious whitespace changes that make a review harder - those
are annoying. Trailing whitespace inadvertently left on lines where
legitimate changes were made in a patch - doesn't seem too harmful to me.

--
Aaron T. Myers
Software Engineer, Cloudera