hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Ivan Mitic <iva...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: [VOTE] introduce Python as build-time and run-time dependency for Hadoop and throughout Hadoop stack
Date Thu, 29 Nov 2012 23:41:22 GMT
+1, +1, +1 (some comments inline)

-----Original Message-----
From: mfoley@hortonworks.com [mailto:mfoley@hortonworks.com] On Behalf Of Matt Foley
Sent: Saturday, November 24, 2012 12:13 PM
To: common-dev@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: [VOTE] introduce Python as build-time and run-time dependency for Hadoop and throughout
Hadoop stack

For discussion, please see previous thread "[PROPOSAL] introduce Python as build-time and
run-time dependency for Hadoop and throughout Hadoop stack".

This vote consists of three separate items:

1. Contributors shall be allowed to use Python as a platform-independent scripting language
for build-time tasks, and add Python as a build-time dependency.
Please vote +1, 0, -1.

2. Contributors shall be encouraged to use Maven tasks in combination with either plug-ins
or Groovy scripts to do cross-platform build-time tasks, even under ant in Hadoop-1.
Please vote +1, 0, -1.

>>> I believe 1&2 in combination make a total sense. I ported a few scripts to
Python, and thus far, it showed to be up to the task and satisfy the cross-platform requirements.
In my option, it is also important to agree on the version, as I've run into some breaking
changes in version 3+.

3. Contributors shall be allowed to use Python as a platform-independent scripting language
for run-time tasks, and add Python as a run-time dependency.

>>> This is a great aspirational goal! Maintaining two sets of scripts would be a
real challenge.

Please vote +1, 0, -1.

Note that voting -1 on #1 and +1 on #2 essentially REQUIRES contributors to use Maven plug-ins
or Groovy as the only means of cross-platform build-time tasks, or to simply continue using
platform-dependent scripts as is being done today.

Vote closes at 12:30pm PST on Saturday 1 December.
---------
Personally, my vote is +1, +1, +1.
I think #2 is preferable to #1, but still has many unknowns in it, and until those are worked
out I don't want to delay moving to cross-platform scripts for build-time tasks.

Best regards,
--Matt