hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Radim Kolar <...@filez.com>
Subject Re: commit access to hadoop
Date Mon, 26 Nov 2012 21:25:47 GMT

> The main "feature" is that when you get the +1  vote you yourself get to deal with the
grunge work of apply
> patches to one or more svn branches, resyncing that with the git branches
> you inevitably do your own work on.
no, main feature is major speed advantage. It takes forever to get
something committed. I was annoyed with apache nutch last year and
forked it, here is snapshot from forked codebase
now its 160k LOC on top of apache nutch 1.4. If i worked with these
guys, it would be never done because it took them 4 months to get 200
lines patch reviewed.

Hadoop has huge backlog of patches, you need way more committers then
you have today. I simply could not assign person to working on hadoop
fulltime because if he submits mere 5 patches per day, you will be never
able to process them.

Your current development process fail to scale. What are your plans for
moving development faster?

View raw message