hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From "Zheng, Kai" <kai.zh...@intel.com>
Subject RE: Questions and possible improvements for LdapGroupsMapping
Date Fri, 19 Oct 2012 02:16:36 GMT
Just got reply from user mailing list from Natty, as follows.
And I'd like to discuss further here since it's more appropriate.

Hi Natty,

1. It's great idea that we just write a customized group mapping service to handle different
mapping for AD user and service principal;
2. OK, I'd like to improve it to support multiple ADs;
3. Great to know it. I will try the group mapping with OpenLDAP making use of the current
configuration properties.

And further, to support to do different mapping for different user/principal, and support
multiple ADs, we also need extra properties to
configure what kind of user/principal (regarding domain/realm is an option) should use which
group mapping mechanism.

To improve such things, I'm going to fire a JIRA for these. It would be great if you could
continue to  comment on it.

Thanks & regards,
Kai

From: Jonathan Natkins [mailto:natty@cloudera.com]
Sent: Friday, October 19, 2012 8:58 AM
To: user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: Secure hadoop and group permission on HDFS

Hi Kai,

1. To the best of my knowledge, you can only use one group mapping service at a time. In order
to do what you're suggesting, you'd have to write a customized group mapping service.

2. Currently multiple ADs are not supported, but it's certainly an improvement that could
be made.

3. The LdapGroupsMapping already supports OpenLDAP. It's pretty heavily configurable for the
purpose of supporting multiple types of LDAP implementations. The defaults just happen to
be geared towards Active Directory.

Thanks,
Natty