hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From "Kingshuk Chatterjee" <mindstatic1...@gmail.com>
Subject RE: Make Hadoop run more securely in Public Cloud environment
Date Thu, 13 Sep 2012 19:16:42 GMT
Absolutely. And if such byte level security is inbuilt into the product, and data access is
isolated, which also means hacks can be isolated too, then it becomes easier for us to sell
the idea to the Hospitals CIOs and CSOs. Let’s hear what our folks here have to say about
it too.

Regards//K

-----Original Message-----
From: Xianqing Yu [mailto:yuxian199@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2012 12:04 PM
To: Kingshuk Chatterjee; common-dev@hadoop.apache.org
Cc: Peng Ning
Subject: Re: Make Hadoop run more securely in Public Cloud environment

Hi Kingshuk,

Thank you for your interesting.

I think you make a very nice example. If Healthcare company push their data to public cloud,
the byte-level access control can minimize the data every party can get (e.g. task process).
So even one task process or TaskTracker is hacked, the information loss can be minimized.

Another feature is also very help to this scenario. Currently all NameNode and DataNodes are
sharing the same key to generate Block Access Token. If the hacker get the key by hacking
any one of HDFS machine, she or he potentially can read everything in the HDFS and impact
is huge. So I re-design that to make sure that, if hacker success to attack one machine, he
or she can only get what is on this machine, not others in the cluster.

And also secure channel (encrypted channel) to transfer data can be another security bonus.

Thanks,

Xianqing