hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Number of reducers
Date Tue, 28 Aug 2012 15:28:44 GMT
Ah, well, my bad. See instead the description for mapred.reduce.tasks
in mapred-default.xml, which states this: "Typically set to 99% of the
cluster's reduce capacity, so that if a node fails the reduces can
still be executed in a single wave."

FWIW, I set it manually to the level of parallelism I require (given
my partitioned data, etc.).

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 8:43 PM, abhiTowson cal
<abhishek.dodda1@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi harsh,
>
> Thanks for the reply.I get your first and second points and coming to
> third point how is it specific to a job?
> My question was specific to job.
>
> Regards
> Abhishek
>

> On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 11:29 PM, Harsh J <harsh@cloudera.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 8:32 AM, Abhishek <abhishek.dodda1@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I just want to know that, based on what factor map reduce framework decides number
of reducers to launch for a job

>> The framework does not auto-determine the number of reducers for a
>> job. That is purely user-or-client-program-supplied presently.
>>
>>> By default only one reducer will be launched for a given job is this right? If
we explicitly does not mention number to launch via command line or driver class.

>> Yes, by default the number of reduce tasks is configured to be one.
>>
>>> If i choose to decide number of reducers to mention explicitly, what should I
consider.Because choosing in appropriate number of reducer hampers the performance.

--
Harsh J