hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Scott Carey <sc...@richrelevance.com>
Subject Java 7 and Hadoop
Date Thu, 26 Apr 2012 21:03:30 GMT
Java 7 update 4 has been released.  It is even available for MacOS X from Oracle:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk-7u4-downloads-1591156.html

Java 6 will reach end of life in about 6 months.   After that point, there will be no more
public updates from Oracle for Java 6, even security updates.
https://blogs.oracle.com/henrik/entry/updated_java_6_eol_date
You can of course pay them for updates or build your own OpenJDK.

The entire Hadoop ecosystem needs to test against Java 7 JDKs this year.  I will be testing
some small clusters of ours with JDK 7 in about a month, and my internal projects will start
using Java 7 features shortly after.

See the JDK roadmap:
http://blogs.oracle.com/javaone/resource/java_keynote/slide_15_full_size.gif
https://blogs.oracle.com/java/entry/moving_java_forward_java_strategy