hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Amir Tuval <ami...@gmail.com>
Subject Big Data storage price in the cloud
Date Thu, 09 Feb 2012 07:57:44 GMT

I am currently looking into implementing a big data SAAS system in the cloud.
I plan to use hadoop to analyze hundreds of TBs or even several PBs of data.

Looking at the pricing for storage in AWS, it is roughly 10 cents per GB per
month for both S3 and EBS. That amounts to 100,000$ per month per PB!!!

I think the storage is relatively expensive, and will probably be much more
than what I will pay for computing resources. The thing about hadoop is that
should run on commodity servers with a relatively cheap storage, replicating
data to handle failures, and so I expected to pay a lot less for storage.

Can anyone point me to best practices as to how to keep storage costs down
in the cloud? Maybe there are other cloud providers that offer services
better suited for this scenario?