hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Castain <...@open-mpi.org>
Subject Re: MPI: Java/JNI help
Date Tue, 31 Jan 2012 00:37:28 GMT

On Jan 30, 2012, at 5:13 PM, Kihwal Lee wrote:

> It doesn't have to be static.
> Do architectures match between the node manager jvm and the library?
> If one is 32 bit and the other is 64, it won't work.

That's a good question - I'll check...

> Kihwal
>
> On 1/30/12 5:58 PM, "Ralph Castain" <rhc@open-mpi.org> wrote:
>
> Hi folks
>
> As per earlier emails, I'm just about ready to release the Java MPI bindings. I have
one remaining issue and would appreciate some help.

> We typically build OpenMPI dynamically. For the Java bindings, this means that the JNI
code underlying the Java binding must dynamically load OMPI plug-ins. Everything works fine
on Mac. However, on Linux, I am getting dynamic library load errors.

> I have tried setting -Djava.library.path and LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the correct locations.
In both cases, I get errors from the JNI code indicating that it was unable to open the specified
dynamic library.

> I have heard from one person that JNI may need to be built statically, and I suppose
it is possible that Apple's customized Java implementation specifically resolved that problem.
However, all the online documentation I can find indicates that Java on Linux should also
be able to load dynamic libraries - but JNI is not specifically addressed.