hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Arun C Murthy <...@hortonworks.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] Stop support for non-packaged i.e. developer build single-node installs
Date Wed, 18 Jan 2012 15:16:33 GMT
Folks,

 Somewhere between MR-279 and mavenization we have broken the support for allowing _developers_
to run single-node installs from the non-packaged 'build' i.e. ability to run single-node
clusters without the need to use a tarball/rpm etc. (I fully suspect MR-279 is blame as much
as anyone else! *smile*)

 I propose we go ahead and stop support for this officially to prevent confusion I already
see among several folks (this has come up several times on our lists in context of hadoop-0.23).

 Some benefits I can think of:
 a) Focus on fewer 'features' in the core.
 b) Reduce maintenance/complexity in our scripts (bin/hadoop, bin/hdfs etc.).
 d) Force us devs to eat our own dogfood when it comes to packaging etc. (I can think of numerous
cases where devs have broken the tarball/rpm generation since they don't use it all the time.)

 Clearly, we *should* back this up by improving our docs for new devs (wiki and/or the site:
http://hadoop.apache.org/common/docs/r0.23.0/hadoop-yarn/hadoop-yarn-site/SingleCluster.html)
and I'm happy to volunteer.

 Thoughts?

thanks,