hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Evans <ev...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: Automatically Documenting Apache Hadoop Configuration
Date Mon, 05 Dec 2011 19:14:44 GMT
>From my work on yarn trying to document the configs there and to standardize them, writing
anything that is going to automatically detect config values through static analysis is going
to be very difficult.  This is because most of the configs in yarn are now built up using
static string concatenation.

public static String BASE = "yarn.base.";
public static String CONF = BASE+"config";

I am not sure that there is a good way around this short of using a full java parser to trace
out all method calls, and try to resolve the parameters.  I know this is possible, just not
that simple to do.

I am +1 for anything that will clean up configs and improve the documentation of them.  Even
if we have to rewire or rewrite a lot of the Configuration class to make things work properly.

--Bobby Evans