hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Hadoop-1.0.0 release candidate 2
Date Tue, 13 Dec 2011 04:20:39 GMT
On Sat, Dec 10, 2011 at 12:24 PM, Matt Foley <mfoley@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>>> Btw, I think it is very instructive to take a look at how
> Linux community has dealt
>>> with version transition between 2.X -> 3.X.
>
> You mean you want us to not call it 1.0.0?  As I remember the vote was
> overwhelmingly
> in favor of calling it 1.0.0.

That's not what I was trying to drive at. Changing versions is fine
as long as there's a clear messaging around it to downstream.

For example, making sure that HIVE-2631 is scheduled for
inclusion into an upcoming Hive 0.8.0 release would greatly
those types of concerns for Hive.

Also having a clear message on a website/etc would help.

On the other hand -- NOT changing versions for quite
a bit of time (to let downstream catch up) is also an
option. That's what experience with Linux versioning
has taught me.

Thanks,
Roman.