hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Noah Watkins <jayh...@soe.ucsc.edu>
Subject Reporting BlockLocation hosts using IPs
Date Tue, 08 Nov 2011 19:56:01 GMT
Hi,

Is it possible to use IP addresses for the host list of BlockLocation? The Ceph file system
uses IPs to describe block locations, and Hadoop is not achieving any data locality. I used
a quick reverse DNS hack to verify that the IPs were causing the problem, but this isn't robust,
and the Ceph file system cannot report host names.

It looks like the issue crops up in comparing Nodes in JobInProgress:getMatchingLevelForNodes
where one node is /default-rack/DNS-NAME and the other is /default-rack/IP-address, and equality
check fails.

Is there a configuration step I am missing, or is this simply not supported? Are there any
suggestions on how to handle this?

Thanks!
Noah