hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Amir Sanjar <v1san...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Hadoop SUN JAVA dependency
Date Thu, 20 Oct 2011 16:54:09 GMT

Thanks Lee, good points.

Best Regards
Amir Sanjar

Linux System Management Architect and Lead
IBM Senior Software Engineer
Phone# 512-286-8393
Fax#      512-838-8858

From:	Kihwal Lee <kihwal@yahoo-inc.com>
To:	"common-dev@hadoop.apache.org" <common-dev@hadoop.apache.org>
Cc:	John Williams/Austin/IBM@IBMUS, Kumar Ravi/Austin/IBM@IBMUS,
            Jeffrey J Heroux/Poughkeepsie/IBM@IBMUS
Date:	10/20/2011 11:51 AM
Subject:	Re: Hadoop SUN JAVA dependency

I have been wanting to try hadoop on my PowerMac 8600 (now with g4!). :)

For starters, there are places (code/script) where os.name, os.arch and
sun.arch.data.model are used.
Some are written with invalid assumptions. For one, JSVC_ARCH will be
blindly set to i386 on ppc in bin/hadoop.

I suggest you file an umbrella jira and keep adding subtasks as you go.

Thanks,
Kihwal