hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From gschen <gongsuoc...@yahoo.com.cn>
Subject Re: Strategy Of Replica
Date Tue, 11 Oct 2011 03:49:30 GMT
On 2011/10/11 11:13, Uma Maheswara Rao G 72686 wrote:
> I did not get your proposed strategy implementations.
>
> Note that, already you can set the replication levels for files. If you set less replication,
then obviously your perf and space will get benefits and also risk will be high in this case.
I think we can manage your requirements using that replication factor. Your expectations are
something different that this?

> Regards,
> Uma

Thanks for your reply. In hdfs only one thing we can do is that we could
set replication factor to change replication  strategy, but we can not
change where the block is stored and what type of storage that we stored
the data. Just think this  case: In order to improve the downloading
speed, I can choose my block replication near my location or near
someone's location. I mean that users could have more option to decide
their block replication strategy.