hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Eli Collins <...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Hadoop Tools Layout (was Re: DistCpV2 in 0.23)
Date Tue, 06 Sep 2011 23:32:46 GMT
On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 10:11 AM, Allen Wittenauer <aw@apache.org> wrote:

> On Sep 6, 2011, at 9:30 AM, Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli wrote:
>> We still need to answer Amareshwari's question (2) she asked some time back
>> about the automated code compilation and test execution of the tools module.

>>> makes
>

>        I'm still waiting for this answer as well.
>
>        Until such, I would be pretty much against a tools module.  Changing the
name of the dumping ground doesn't make it any less of a dumping ground.

IMO if the tools module only gets stuff like distcp that's maintained
then it's not contrib, if it contains all the stuff from the current
MR contrib then tools is just a re-labeling of contrib. Given that
this proposal only covers moving distcp to tools it doesn't sound like
contrib to me.

Thanks,
Eli