hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Mirko Kämpf <mirko.kae...@googlemail.com>
Subject problem of lost name-node
Date Tue, 27 Sep 2011 15:36:58 GMT
Hi,
during the Cloudera Developer Training at Berlin I came up with an idea,
regarding a lost name-node.
As in this case all data blocks are lost. The solution could be, to have a
table which relates filenames and block_ids on that node, which can be
scaned
after a name-node is lost. Or on every block could be a kind of a backlink
to the filename and the total nr of blocks and/or a total hashsum attached.
This would it make easy to recover with minimal overhead.

Now I would like to ask the developer community, if there is any good reason
not to do this?
Before I start to figure out where to start an implementation of such a
feature.

Thanks,
Mirko