hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Saikat Kanjilal <sxk1...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Research projects for hadoop
Date Fri, 09 Sep 2011 18:14:30 GMT

Thanks all for your feedback on this, I'll research some more and gather some benchmarks,
also what about the provisioning of long running services via HOD, is anyone looking at this
project or has done work on this?
Regards

> From: msegel@navteq.com
> To: common-dev@hadoop.apache.org; mapreduce-dev@hadoop.apache.org
> Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2011 12:45:38 -0500
> Subject: RE: Research projects for hadoop
>
> Why would you want to take a perfectly good machine and then try to virtualize it?
> I mean if I have 4 quad core cpus, I can run a lot of simultaneous map tasks. However
if I virtualize the box, I lose at least 1 core per VM so I end up with 4 nodes that have
less capabilities and performance than I would have under my original box....

and was wondering if there's been any work done (or any interest to do work) for the following
topics:
> Integration of Virtualization (such as Xen) with Hadoop toolsHow does one integrate sandboxing
of arbitrary user code in C++ and other languages in a VM such as Xen with the Hadoop framework?
How does this interact with SGE, Torque, Condor?As each individual machine has more and more
cores/cpus, it makes sense to partition each machine into multiple virtual machines. That
gives us a number of benefits:By assigning a virtual machine to a datanode, we effectively
isolate the datanode from the load on the machine caused by other processes, making the datanode
more responsive/reliable.With multiple virtual machines on each machine, we can lower the
granularity of hod scheduling units, making it possible to schedule multiple tasktrackers
on the same machine, improving the overall utilization of the whole clusters.With virtualization,
we can easily snapshot a virtual cluster before releasing it, making it possible to re-activate
the same cluster in the future and start to work from the snapshot.Provisioning of long running
Services via HODWork on a computation model for services on the grid. The model would include:Various
tools for defining clients and servers of the service, and at the least a C++ and Java instantiation
of the abstractionsLogical definitions of how to partition work onto a set of servers, i.e.
a generalized shard implementationA few useful abstractions like locks (exclusive and RW,
fairness), leader election, transactions,Various communication models for groups of servers
belonging to a service, such as broadcast, unicast, etc.Tools for assuring QoS, reliability,
managing pools of servers for a service with spares, etc.Integration with HDFS for persistence,
as well as access to local filesystemsIntegration with ZooKeeper so that applications can
use the namespace I would like to either help out with a design for the above or prototyping
code, please let me know if and what the process may be to move forward with this.
> Regards
>
> The information contained in this communication may be CONFIDENTIAL and is intended only
for the use of the recipient(s) named above.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication, or
any of its contents, is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error,
please notify the sender and delete/destroy the original message and any copy of it from your
computer or paper files.