hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Two Jira infrastructure additions to support sustaining bug fixes
Date Fri, 16 Sep 2011 08:43:17 GMT
On 15/09/2011 19:58, Matt Foley wrote:
> Hi all,
> for better or worse, the Hadoop community works in multiple branches.  We
> have to do sustaining work on 0.20, even while we hope that 0.23 will
> finally replace it.  Even after that happens, we will then need to do
> sustaining releases on 0.23 while future development goes into 0.24 or 0.25,
> and so on.

seen this.

Another way to do it could be to create sub-issues, one for each branch,
so you have a super-issue for all branches, and a sub-issue for the
individual branches. Then we'd need a tag for "test-branch" which could
be used by jenkins to know which branch to patch-test against. ]]

The advantage of this approach is that the sub-task mechanism is built
into JIRA, lets you see at a glance from the super-task which branches
are still open, and lets you have a sub-lifecycle (progress, wontfix,
logged hours) for each branch, and you could easily separate the jenkins
outputs.

The risk is that discussions would take place in the sub-tasks, not the
supertask, but that is a team process issue