hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Eli Collins <...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Sustaining Releases (Was: [VOTE] Release 0.20.204.0-rc0)
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2011 22:39:17 GMT
On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 2:02 PM, Arun C Murthy <acm@hortonworks.com> wrote:
> On Aug 2, 2011, at 4:28 AM, Steve Loughran wrote:
>> I'm getting confused about release roadmaps right now
>>
>> Is there somewhere that lists the (proposed) timetable for the 0.20.204, 0.20.205,
0.22, 0.23 releases?

> Since I was among the people who started the 'security on 0.20' thread, I apologize for
the lack of clarity on the roadmap and timelines.

> Eric did send out a note on the motivation for sustaining releases (http://s.apache.org/hadoop-sustenance-releases)
- which I believe is important to keep Hadoop installations going. However, I accept that
there has been very poor clarity on the process for inclusion of content to the sustaining
releases and the timelines.

> Here is my proposal for the community process for sustaining releases moving forward:
> # The Release Manager should clearly communicate, upfront, the expected timeline for
each upcoming release.
> # Anyone interested in contributing to the release submits a patch to trunk, if applicable*,
and to the branch-0.20-security branch. Then talk to the Release Manager for inclusion via
the normal process.

> The RM is responsible for release content, timelines and for enforcing that each change
should have an equivalent for trunk, as applicable, before inclusion.

> If this makes sense, I'll add this to the wiki to record it.

+1   sounds great.

Thanks,
Eli