hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Eli Collins <...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release 0.20.204.0-rc0
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2011 16:46:18 GMT
On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 9:35 AM, Eric Yang <eric818@gmail.com> wrote:
> RPM packaging and Ganglia plugin for metrics v2 features committed to trunk before in
branch-0.20-security.  There is no rule that declares the new feature landed in trunk needs
to materialized into a release then back port is allowed to happen.

No one is suggesting that. We're saying features should be developed
on trunk first, before being backported to a release branch. Yes,
there is no current rule that says trunk needs to be a superset of
branch-0.20, but it would help us not get stuck on a given release for
too long.

> Those are the only two new minor features that were back ported from trunk to 0.20 security
branch.

There are others, eg MR disk failure handling, MR security, etc. that
are not in trunk but are in branch-0.20-security.

>  No one is using branch-0.20-security as their new trunk.
> Hence, the 4 part version number should not apply.

If that's so then why use a 4 part version (0.20.204.0)?

Thanks,
Eli