hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From "elena.otero" <elena.ot...@hpc-project.com>
Subject Create mp4 local files through a hadoop datanode in the map function through a external program
Date Tue, 09 Aug 2011 13:01:18 GMT

Hello all,

Here's my issue:

By using java Runtime.getRuntime().exec(command); I want to run a program on
a hadoop datanode as part of the map function. This program will create mp4
files on the datanode's local filesystem. So far I've been able to create
these mp4 files in the datanode local filesystem through eclipse and the
hadoop plugin. When the hadoop job is run normally as a .jar file, the .mp4
files are not created. However, I am able to create text files in the
datanode's local filesystem as shown next:

FileSystem fs = new LocalFileSystem();
Path filenamePath = new Path("file:///somepath", "log.out");
fs = filenamePath.getFileSystem(conf);

FSDataOutputStream dout = fs.create(filenamePath);
dout.writeUTF("foofoo");
dout.close();

Is what I'm trying to do possible?

Thanks in advance