hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Todd Lipcon <t...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: submitting patches that span projects, post repo merge
Date Sun, 03 Jul 2011 19:52:06 GMT
The QA-bot unfortunately can still only deal with single-project patches. I
think there's an open JIRA to allow it to do cross-project tests.

I think for this patch, let's stick with the old way. We can do a single
commit when it's committed, but review-wise and QA-bot wise, separate JIRAs
is probably the way to go until we figure out a proper way to do these.

On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 10:03 AM, Travis Crawford

> Hey hadoop gurus -
> With the merged repo, is the process for submitting patches that span
> repos still one patch per repo? Is submitting a single patch with
> changes to common, hdfs, and mapreduce acceptable post-merge?
> If so, I can update the "Changes that span projects" section of
> http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HowToContribute.
> I finished a change for
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-7359, developed in a
> branch on my github fork. Generating a diff between my branch and
> trunk is straightforward, however, generating patches per-project
> would require reworking the patch into 3 branches. Also, since the
> patch changes something in common that's used in both HDFS & MR
> submitting as separate patches will certainly break trunk for a brief
> period.
> With the merged repo, submitting patches that span projects via a
> single diff is possible and potentially preferred. If
> one-patch-per-project is still preferred I'll certainly do that, but
> submitting a single patch is both easier from a development
> perspective, won't cause temporary build breakage, and provides a
> cleaner revision history.
> Thoughts?
> --travis

Todd Lipcon