hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Hadoop Master and Slave Discovery
Date Tue, 05 Jul 2011 09:40:59 GMT
On 04/07/11 18:22, Ted Dunning wrote:
> One reasonable suggestion that I have heard recently was to do like Google
> does and put a DNS front end onto Zookeeper.  Machines would need to have
> DNS set up properly and a requests for a special ZK based domain would have
> to be delegated to the fancy DNS setup, but this would allow all kinds of
> host targeted configuration settings to be moved by a very standardized
> network protocol.  There are difficulties moving port numbers and all you
> really get are hostnames, but it is a nice trick since configuration of
> which nameserver to use is a common admin task.

good point

1. you could use DNS proper, by way of Bonjour/avahi. You don't need to
be running any mDNS server to support .local, and I would strongly
advise against it in a large cluster (because .local resolution puts a
lot of CPU load on every server in the subnet). What you can do is have
the DNS server register some .local entries and have the clients use
this to bind. You probably also need to set the dns TTLs in the JVM. In
a large clusters that'll just add to the DNS traffic, so it's where host
tables start to look appealing

2. Apache MINA is set up to serve its directory data in lots of ways,
including what appears to be text files over NFS. This is an even nicer
trick. If you could get MINA to serve up the ZK data, life is very simple