hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Hadoop Master and Slave Discovery
Date Mon, 04 Jul 2011 10:44:23 GMT
On 03/07/11 03:11, Raja Nagendra Kumar wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Instead of depending on local syncup to configuration files, would it be a
> nice way to adopt JINI Discovery model, where in masters and slaves can
> discover each other dynamically through a UDP broadcast/heart beat methods

That assumes that UDP Broadcast is supported through the switches (many
turn it off as it creates too much traffic), or UDP multicast is
supported (as an example of an infrastructure that does not, play with EC2)

> This would mean, any machine can come up and say I am a slave and
> automatically discover the master and start supporting the master with in<
> x seconds.

How will your slave determine that the master that it has bonded to is
the master that it should bond to and not something malicious within the
same multicast range? It's possible, but you have generally have to have
configuration files in the worker nodes.

There's nothing to stop your Configuration Management layer using
discovery or central config servers (Zookeeper, Anubis, LDAP, DNS, ...),
which then pushes desired state information to the client nodes. These
can deal with auth and may support infrastructures that don't support
broadcast or multicast. Such tooling also gives you the ability to push
out host table config, JVM options, logging parameters, and bounce
worker nodes into new states without waiting for them to timeout and try
to rediscover new masters.