hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Bockelman <bbock...@cse.unl.edu>
Subject Happy World IPv6 Day!
Date Wed, 08 Jun 2011 13:25:41 GMT
Hi,

Well, I feel compelled to ask: what are folks opinions about the IPv6-readiness of Hadoop?

Doing some searching around, I think it's stated up-front that Hadoop is not IPv6 ready, and
there's little interest in IPv6 support as Hadoop is meant to be within the data center (which
I suppose stays on IPv4?).  This leads to two questions:

1) How "un-ready" is the stack for IPv6?  Is it a matter of sending a committer into a dark
room for 6 months?  Or are there protocol issues?
2) How strongly do folks feel about not even attempting IPv4?

Alright - everyone go to work, ponder these questions, and attempt to get an IPv6 address.

Brian