hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Mohsen Vakilian <mvaki...@illinois.edu>
Subject Interested in helping a research study on Eclipse?
Date Thu, 09 Jun 2011 04:30:05 GMT
Hi

I'm Mohsen, a PhD student working with Prof. Ralph Johnson at the University of Illinois at
Urbana-Champaign (UIUC). Ralph is a co-author of the seminal book on design patterns (GoF)
and his research group has a history of important contributions to IDE's.

Our team [1] is studying how developers interact with the Eclipse IDE for evolving and maintaining
their code. Since Hadoop comes with some Eclipse support [2], I assume that Eclipse has some
users in the Hadoop community. Thus, we are extending this invitation to Hadoop developers
and would greatly appreciate and value your participation and help in our research study.

To participate you should be at least 18 years old and use Eclipse Helios for Java development.
As a participant, we ask that you complete a short survey and install our Eclipse plug-in
called CodingSpectator [3].

CodingSpectator monitors programming interactions non-intrusively in the background and periodically
uploads it to a secure server at UIUC. To get a representative perspective of how you interact
with Eclipse, we would appreciate if you could install CodingSpectator for two months. Rest
assured that we are taking the utmost measures to protect your privacy and confidentiality.

If you are interested, you may sign up at <http://codingspectator.cs.illinois.edu/ConsentForm>,
which contains our consent form with all the details and procedures of our research study.

Your participation will help us greatly as we try to better understand how developers interact
with their IDE's so we can propose improvements which fit better with their mindsets.

Thanks in advance for your time! Please do not hesitate to contact me (mvakili2@illinois.edu)
if you have any questions or comments. More information can also be found at our FAQ [4].
Feel free to forward this invitation to anyone who might be interested in participating in
this study.

--
Mohsen Vakilian
& the CodingSpectator team