hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: How HDFS decides where to put the block
Date Mon, 18 Apr 2011 14:16:26 GMT
Hello,

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 7:16 PM, Nan Zhu <zhunansjtu@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, all
>
> I'm confused by a question that "how does the HDFS decide where to put the
> data blocks "
>
> I mean that the user invokes some commands like "./hadoop put ***", we
> assume that this  file consistes of 3 blocks, but how HDFS decides where
> these 3 blocks to be put?
>
> Most of the materials don't involve this issue, but just introduce the data
> replica where talking about blocks in HDFS,

I'm guessing you're looking for the BlockPlacementPolicy
implementations [1] and how it is applied in the HDFS.

Basically, the NameNode chooses the set of DNs for every new-block
request (from a client) using this policy, and the DFSClient gets a
list of all the nodes. It goes on to pick the first one among them to
write the data to. The replication happens async, later.

[1] - BlockPolicyPlacementDefault is the default implementation in
use. It's source available in the o.a.h.hdfs.server.namenode package.

--
Harsh J