hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Harsh J <qwertyman...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Frustrating "pending" statuses
Date Tue, 15 Mar 2011 16:39:57 GMT
[ Moving this to mapreduce-user@ - since it isn't a common-development
related question, but a mapreduce specific one || bcc-ing common-dev@
]

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 1:25 PM, Keith Wiley <kwiley@keithwiley.com> wrote:
> Despite plenty of available mapper slots (as inferred by "Map Task Capacity" minus "Maps"
on the jobtracker) our jobs often linger with all or many of the map tasks stuck in a pending
status for five to ten minutes.  Eventually they start, but why the seemingly unnecessary
delay?  There also might be a correlation between starting an unrelated job to "unstick"
the pending tasks of the previous job...although this correlation is difficult to quantify;
it may be a coincidence.

Could we additionally know what scheduler is in effect here, and does
the log of JobTracker contain anything you think may be remotely
related to this issue?

--
Harsh J
http://harshj.com