hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Allen Wittenauer ...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Hadoop Version 0.20.2, 0.20.100 and 0.21.0.
Date Thu, 17 Mar 2011 21:00:02 GMT

On Mar 17, 2011, at 1:19 PM, Jane Chen wrote:
> In 0.20.2, there are some Interface API that got deprecated (org.apache.hadoop.mapred),
and their abstract class counter parts were introduced (org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce).  I read
in the mailing list that now the deprecated APIs are considered more stable, and the other
set are considered unstable and evolving.  Is that true?  So which set of API should I choose
to extend/implement?

	I think the general view is that the old APIs will likely be good to go for at least another
year or so, especially since they were un-deprecated in 0.21.  (Which would mean that 0.22
would be the next opportunity to re-deprecate them, then have them removed in 0.23). IIRC,
one of the changes in 0.20.203 is to remove the deprecation flags.