hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Keith Wiley <kwi...@keithwiley.com>
Subject Frustrating "pending" statuses
Date Tue, 15 Mar 2011 07:55:27 GMT
Despite plenty of available mapper slots (as inferred by "Map Task Capacity" minus "Maps" on
the jobtracker) our jobs often linger with all or many of the map tasks stuck in a pending
status for five to ten minutes.  Eventually they start, but why the seemingly unnecessary
delay?  There also might be a correlation between starting an unrelated job to "unstick" the
pending tasks of the previous job...although this correlation is difficult to quantify; it
may be a coincidence.

Does anyone have a theory as to what is going on here?

Thanks.

                                           --  Yoda