hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: debugging hadoop
Date Wed, 26 Jan 2011 17:22:51 GMT
On 23/01/11 06:31, Zinab Ahmed Mahmoud Elgendy wrote:
> I want to make debugging step by step using eclipse for example. I thought about remote
debugging but i couldn't use it to debug the slave code.

on your local (unix) desktop set X up to allow anyone:
  xhost +

on the target machine install your chosen IDE , but set the DISPLAY
environment variable to your desktop's (hostname, display)

export DISPLAY=desktop:0.0

where desktop should be changed to your desktop's hostname

bring up eclipse, attach it to whatever process you want.

The hard part is the TT will spawn new JVMs for new jobs, making binding
harder.

Personally I'd recommend putting effort into logging and testing, as
they have longer term benefits and scale well. But it is still nice to
know what goes on in worker nodes from time to time