hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Philip Zeyliger <phi...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Configuring Heap Size for Name Node
Date Thu, 02 Dec 2010 06:11:49 GMT
HADOOP_NAMENODE_OPTS="-Xmx500m" will set it to 500MB.  The "OPTS" here
refers to JVM options.  -Xmx is a common JVM option to set the maximum
heap.

-- Philip

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 4:27 AM, Dave Shine
<Dave.Shine@channelintelligence.com> wrote:
> I'm using 0.20.2.
>
> I've seen references to HADOOP_NAMENODE_OPTS, but nothing that clearly explains how to
set them.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Dave Shine

changing the heap size for the data nodes, job tracker, and task trackers?

> Which version are you using. I am pretty certain that 0.21 and above
> have HADOOP_NAMENODE_OPTS which can be used to set the heap size only
> for NameNode. You can check if this option is defined in
> hadoop-env.sh.
>
> Thanks
> Hemanth
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Dave Shine
>> Sr. Software Engineer
>>
>> 1180 Celebration Blvd Suite 101
>> Celebration FL 34747
>> Office 321-939-5093
>> Mobile 407-314-0122
>> Fax 321-939-5604
>> dave.shine@channelintellence.com<mailto:dave.shine@channelintellence.com>
>> http://www.channelintelligence.com<http://www.channelintelligence.com/>

>> The information contained in this email message is considered confidential and proprietary
to the sender and is intended solely for review and use by the named recipient. Any unauthorized
review, use or distribution is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error,
please advise the sender by reply email and delete the message.