hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Allen Wittenauer <awittena...@linkedin.com>
Subject Re: Multi-Master Hadoop Configuration
Date Wed, 27 Oct 2010 22:08:10 GMT

On Oct 27, 2010, at 2:55 PM, Wang, Chengwei wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I've searched for a while on the possibility to configure multiple masters to govern
large number of slaves, but I barely found any except for multi-masters for backup in HBase.
Is one master enough to support thousands of slaves? Or in real we just configure separate
Hadoop instances in a data center(I mean independent master-slaves sets on thousands of hosts)?

> I really appreciate that someone here could enlighten me on those questions!

This is question #3 on the Hadoop FAQ.

http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/FAQ#How_well_does_Hadoop_scale.3F