hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From "Wang, Chengwei" <wan...@gatech.edu>
Subject Re: Multi-Master Hadoop Configuration
Date Wed, 27 Oct 2010 22:28:29 GMT
Thanks for pointing it out!

Because it did not mentioned how may masters in the practice of 4000 nodes, is there only
one master managing 4000 slaves?

Thanks
Chengwei

----- Original Message -----
From: "Allen Wittenauer" <awittenauer@linkedin.com>
To: "<common-dev@hadoop.apache.org>" <common-dev@hadoop.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 2010 6:08:10 PM
Subject: Re: Multi-Master Hadoop Configuration

On Oct 27, 2010, at 2:55 PM, Wang, Chengwei wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I've searched for a while on the possibility to configure multiple masters to govern
large number of slaves, but I barely found any except for multi-masters for backup in HBase.
Is one master enough to support thousands of slaves? Or in real we just configure separate
Hadoop instances in a data center(I mean independent master-slaves sets on thousands of hosts)?

> I really appreciate that someone here could enlighten me on those questions!

This is question #3 on the Hadoop FAQ.

http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/FAQ#How_well_does_Hadoop_scale.3F