hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Maxim Veksler <ma...@vekslers.org>
Subject 2 General questions - NameNode SPOF, Byzantine fault tolerance
Date Tue, 03 Aug 2010 08:34:40 GMT
Hi,

New to Hadoop. Learning the architecture, code, ecosystem and everything
else... love what I've seen so far. Some parts are brilliant.

I've been wondering. If the NameNode is a single point of failure why not
employ a highly available solution to replace the current
implementation? For ex: Is there any reason why not to mimic the fsImage
file structure in Cassandra? or in ZooKeeper?

Another thing, I've only recently learned about BFT. Does hadoop uses
this algorithm somewhere in it's logic? I would love to see the
implementation if it does. Are there any plans for this? Seems like a good
fit for a large scale cluster.

Thanks for the continuous commits flow guys! :)
Great work.