hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Hadoop 0.21.0 (candidate 2)
Date Fri, 20 Aug 2010 17:32:11 GMT

I verified the checksum & signature and ran some of the example
programs.  I also ran RAT to check that sources are licensed correctly.

I only examined the merged artifact.  Do we need to release the others?

The out-of-box experience isn't great.  There's no documentation at the
top-level telling how to get started.  In a subsequent release we might
add links to the various documents.

Also, 'bin/start-all.sh' warns that one should use start-dfs.sh and
start-mapred.sh instead, but those scripts, out-of-the-box, complain
that that they can't find Common.

There are some empty java source files in the release, namely:

These issues should not prevent this release, in my opinion.

On 08/16/2010 10:29 PM, Tom White wrote:
> I have created a new candidate build for Hadoop 0.21.0. This fixes
> MAPREDUCE-2012 and MAPREDUCE-2014 which were found for the previous
> release candidate (1).
> This release is being classified as a minor release, which means that
> it is API compatible with 0.20.2.
> *** This release candidate has not been tested extensively, so it
> should not be considered stable.
> *** Please download, test and vote before the vote closes on Thursday 19 August.
> http://people.apache.org/~tomwhite/hadoop-0.21.0-candidate-2/
> The hadoop-0.21.0.tar.gz file is an old-style combined release which
> includes Common, HDFS, and MapReduce.
> Thanks,
> Tom

View raw message