hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: MapReduce Usage in Search Engines
Date Sat, 31 Jul 2010 03:12:55 GMT
MapReduce tends to be used for massive (re)indexing.
 See http://search-lucene.com/?q=hadoop+mapreduce&fc_project=Solr&fc_project=Lucene
 for how Lucene/Solr people are using MapReduce.

For example, in a recent project we used MapReduce (streaming with jruby,
actually) together with Solr (Embedded version, to be more precise) to speed up
indexing of a 20 GB index that used to take a couple of hours.  Now it takes 7
minutes, because it's parallelized to Nth degree.

MapReduce can also be used for various Machine Learning data crunching, say for
query log analysis, for content analysis, for NLP, for building of better
relevance models for search, etc. etc.  See http://mahout.apache.org .

Otis
----Sematext :: http://sematext.com/ :: Solr - Lucene - Nutch