hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Tom White <...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: a patch for src/contrib/cloud scripts
Date Thu, 15 Apr 2010 22:24:23 GMT
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the suggestion. I've been having similar thoughts, so I've
created a proposal [1] for a new incubator project for cloud services
(not just Hadoop). It's still in draft, and I'd welcome any feedback
you or others may have.

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/general@incubator.apache.org/msg24373.html

On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 11:40 AM, Chris K Wensel <chris@wensel.net> wrote:
> I personally would love to see more of the orthogonal stuff (like these scripts) show
up in github and out of contrib so the friction to contribution is much lower.
> i recognize this is somewhat heretical, but this does make non-critical things more democratic,
if you will.
> fyi http://github.com/clj-sys/crane is already a clojure/java version of these scripts.
adrian on the jclouds project is contributing to it to get vendor independence to some degree.
> ckw
> On Apr 9, 2010, at 5:11 AM, Andrew Klochkov wrote:
>>> you
>>> That would be a great addition.
>> Submitted it here: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-6696
>> But after I discovered Hadoop On Demand, I'm not sure it worth using
>> contrib/cloud for hardware clusters deployment. So now I'm going to try HOD,
>> and probably some configuration management tools like Chef or SmartFrog.
>> --
>> Andrew Klochkov
> --
> Chris K Wensel